Friday, June 26, 2009

Got to be there.

Good Lord. I don't even think I felt like this when James Brown or Dilla passed. Probably because it's the difference from a friend you made in high school/college passing vs. a childhood friend you grew up with. Not to mention myself growing up as well as watching HIM grow throughout the years from his brotherhood band Jackson 5. I attended the Root Down at El Cid last night and enjoyed a tribute set played by DJ Slopoke and other DJs, once again being reminded of how his music transcends age, time, genre preference, musical depth, ethnicity, culture, dance ability, gender, you name it. As my dear friend Valtron stated, "this one hits home." May God have mercy on his soul. I know we're all going to hear countless MJ tribute set for the next couple of weeks/months, but I think we all have realized that his music NEVER gets played out.



If you're in SD, stop by JazzyFatNasty tonight at Bar 923. I'll be playing with DJ Hectick and special guest: DJ Artistic [NoSuckerDJ]

No comments:

Post a Comment